The Ministry of Education provides a Wage Enhancement Grant (WEG) and Home Child Care Enhancement Grant (HCCEG) to support wages for child care professionals working in licensed child care settings. These funds are available for:
- Program staff working in licensed child care programs
- Home visitors and providers working with a licensed home child care agency
The goals of WEG/HCCEG are to support a stable, accessible high quality child care system through:
- Helping licensed child care operators to retain RECEs/child care staff
- Supporting greater employment and income security
- Closing the wage gap between RECE wages in the school board and licensed child care sectors
Halton Region administers the WEG/HCCEG funding to licensed child care operators and agencies on behalf of the Ministry of Education.
Update for 2018
Highlights for the 2018 provincial funding include:
- An increase of up to $2/hour plus 17.5% benefits for licensed program staff and home visitors (WEG).
- An increase of up to $20/day for home child care providers contracted with a licensed home child care agency (HCCEG).
- Staff earning more than $27.07 are not eligible for WEG. Providers earning more than $270.70 per day are not eligible for HCCEG. This wage cap aligns with the school-based ECE salary grid.
- WEG/HCCEG payments must be provided to staff and providers on the regular pay cycle.
- Applications are required for 2018 WEG/HCCEG funding.
- New centres and agencies that open in 2018 will be eligible for WEG/HCCEG funding once they begin operations.
- Administration Grant funding will be available in 2018.
Updated User Guides will be available at a later date.
For questions, please fill out the online question form.