The child care fee subsidy helps with the cost of licensed child care.
If you are looking for child care in Halton Region, call the Child Care Directory and Information Line at 905-875-0235 or visit thrc.ca (external link) for child care options close to your home or preferred location.
To be eligible for child care fee subsidy, you must:
- Live in Halton Region
- Be working, training or attending school
- Have children from birth to 12 years of age in licensed child care programs
- Be financially eligible for the child care fee subsidy
Financial eligibility depends on your income. You must file an income tax return and complete an Income Test to determine if you qualify for child care fee subsidy. You will also need a recent copy of one of the following documents:
Exception: Recent immigrants who did not live in Canada in the previous year and had no Canadian income to report for income tax purposes do not need to have filed an income tax return. Your adjusted income will be considered zero for the first year.
Children with special needs
Parents of children with special needs may be eligible for child care fee subsidy for children up to 12 years of age. Call 311 and ask for services for children with special needs.
Child care subsidy calculator
The fee subsidy is based on your family's total income and child care costs. Use the Child Care Subsidy Calculator to see if you are eligible for a fee subsidy, and to find the amount you qualify for.
Note: This tool does not guarantee eligibility for the program.
Applying for child care fee subsidy
To apply for child care fee subsidy:
- Fill out the online form or call 311.
- A Children's Services staff representative will call you to discuss your application.
- Children's Services will follow up with a letter to you outlining all the documents you need to continue with your application.
- You will need to send all required documents, including your Notice of Assessment or Canada Child Benefit statement.
- A Child Care Representative will meet with you to review your documents and confirm that you are eligible.
Halton Region will provide an interpreter at no cost, if you require assistance.
All Halton Region offices are wheelchair accessible. Use Halton Region’s TTY line (905-827-9833) to contact us if you have a hearing impairment.