Skip Navigation
We are currently working to improve our beta search feature and as a result it may not display reliable results. Thank you for your patience as we work to enhance your user experience.
The Ontario Works program provides temporary financial assistance to people who are returning to the workforce.

Important: Changes for Ontario Works recipients effective May and August 2018.

Change for Ontario Works recipients effective May 2018

Starting in May 2018, income reporting is getting easier. You will need to fill out only 3 things in your Statement of Income form:

  • gross pay (before deductions)
  • net pay (after deductions)
  • any garnishments (such as child support payments)

Changes for Ontario Works recipients effective August 2018

Starting in August 2018:

  • eligible family members will be added to your monthly Statement of Assistance. This may be used to help determine your family’s eligibility for additional supports, such as housing subsidies.
  • you will no longer receive a paper drug card with your statement. Instead, you can use your Ontario health card or another form of government identification to access Ontario Works health benefits, such as prescription drugs and eye exams.

Learn more about these changes at (external link).

What is Ontario Works?

The Ontario Works (external link) (OW) program provides temporary financial assistance to people who are in need. The program also provides employment supports to help individuals find employment.

You may be eligible for Ontario Works if you:

  • live in Ontario
  • are in financial need (your household income does not cover basic living requirements)
  • are committed to finding and keeping a job (unless you have a specific circumstance that prevents you from doing so)

Your income, assets, living arrangements, family size and circumstances are also used to determine your eligibility.

How do I apply?

To apply for Ontario Works:

Halton Region

  • Call 311 or 905-825-6000
  • Toll Free: 1-866-4HALTON (1-866-442-5866)
  • TTY: 905-827-9833

You will be contacted to schedule an in-person meeting. This meeting will be used to help determine your eligibility for the program.

Click here (external link) for more information on the application process.

What benefits can I receive?

In addition to your monthly cheque and your drug card, you may also be eligible to receive other benefits (e.g. dental, vision, medical treatments, supplies, equipment and related costs, etc.). Visit the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services site for a summary of benefits (external link).

You may also qualify for the following benefits. Click on the links below for more information and talk to your case manager to find out if you qualify.

If you are in receipt of Ontario Works assistance, Halton Region may be able to help you with the cost of food.

What else do I need to know?

Income Reporting: You must declare any income that you receive on a monthly basis.

Cheque Information: Learn about payment methods and schedules.

Appealing Decisions: Learn if and how your decision can be appealed.

Forms: Ontario Works Forms can be found here.

Where to find us

Ontario Works is offered through four community-based offices throughout Halton Region.

Return to top of page