What is the Halton Newcomer Strategy?
Funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and Halton Region, the Halton Newcomer Strategy (external link) Steering Committee (HNS) was launched in 2010 to act as the Local Immigration Partnership (LIP).
HNS is one of more than 40 LIPs across the country that is dedicated to:
- meeting the changing needs and improving the lives of newcomers
- improving access to settlement services
- improving job outcomes for newcomers
- strengthening regional awareness and capacity to successfully integrate newcomers
Through research, data and broader system planning, HNS takes an active role in coordinating and enhancing local services based on community need.
Who is involved in the Halton Newcomer Strategy?
The Halton Newcomer Strategy Steering Committee is comprised of 65 committee members, spanning more than 40 member agencies and a cross-section of sectors, such as:
- health employment
These advocates set the strategic direction for the work of the collaborative and partner with the community to help newcomers with settlement, employment and successful integration.
What is available to help newcomers or service providers?
Halton Region is one of the safest, fastest growing and most welcoming communities in Canada. Learn about the many opportunities and services available to newcomers in the region (external link).
Want to recognize a Halton newcomer for giving back to the community?
The Halton Newcomer Strategy Steering Committee hosts an annual event to honour and recognize the contributions that newcomers make to the community.
The 2017 ceremony recognized over 50 honourees before an audience of almost 300 community members and friends. Hear the stories of past honourees (external link).
The Halton Newcomer Strategy is accepting nominations for the 2018 Newcomer Recognition Event. The deadline to submit nominations is March 26, 2018.
The Halton Newcomer Strategy is looking for nominations in the following three categories:
- Business: An immigrant or employer who has achieved success in the development or operation of a business or entrepreneurial venture in the region of Halton with a focus on providing a diverse work environment.
- Community: An immigrant who strengthens community awareness about and advocates for newcomer equity and the celebration of cultural diversity in the region of Halton.
- Youth: An immigrant youth in secondary or post-secondary education who is dedicated to supporting immigrant integration and cultural awareness in the region of Halton.
The event will be held on Tuesday, June 5, 2018 from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm. Learn more about how to nominate someone for the award (external PDF).