About Compensation and Benefits
Halton Region's success depends on the quality of staff we hire to serve our residents. Our goal is to attract people who are committed to delivering excellent customer service to residents and businesses in Halton Region.
“Total compensation” does not refer only to wages. Halton Region also offers plans, programs, benefits and opportunities to employees. We reward employees with benefits that recognize how you contribute to our success by offering:
- Direct monetary compensation
- Health and Wellness plans and initiatives – benefit plans
- Pension Plan – Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS)
- Work-life benefits – tuition assistance, Employee Assistance Program
Halton Region believes in encouraging strong employee performance. We have a pay for performance system in place for non-union salary employees. We evaluate employees annually, and recognized effort is duly compensated. Each collective agreement outlines when and by what percentage our union employees will receive salary increases.
Health, Dental, Life Insurance and Disability Benefits
All eligible Halton employees receive the following benefits!
- Extended health care including prescriptions, hospital fees, and out of province travel insurance
- Vision care
- Dental benefits including regular cleanings, orthodontics for dependent children, dentures, bridges and crowns
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability benefits protect employees from financial hardship due to illness or injury.
Halton Region is part of the Ontario Municipal Eligible Employees Retirement System (OMERS). Through payroll deduction, employees contribute to their retirement savings. Being an OMERS member provides you with a great opportunity to plan for the future.
Employee Assistance Program
Employees and their families sometimes need the services of our confidential Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
Our EAP can help with:
- Addiction supports and counselling
- Nutrition counselling
- Family and Relationship supports
- Researching child and eldercare resources
- Financial counselling
- Helping employees achieve personal well-being